Scheltema has been a leading provider of roofing, ceilings, and partitioning throughout Southern Africa since 1931. On the Roofing side, while a key component of Scheltema’s capability is large scale ‘’new build’, more specialized roofing and re-roofing services within the commercial and industrial spheres are cornerstones to the business too.
According to Scheltema’s MD, Michael van Breda, great potential resides within the company’s on-going commitment towards specialist skills and predictable high quality construction delivery.
“More and more, we’re being called in to assist in specialized roofing projects that call for innovation, sensitivity, and skill” said Scheltema’s MD, Michael van Breda. Examples of these include:
- Industrial re-roofing projects such as the recently completed Bravo mattress factory in Epping Industria, which included the stripping of asbestos sheets, refurbishing and repainting structural steelwork, supplying and fitting environmentally friendly insulation, and finally the installation of a new roof covering.
- The ongoing Heritage building refurbishments Scheltema does on behalf of the City of Cape Town and the Department of Public Works, an example of which being the current Groote Schuur Hospital roof refurbishment project.
- Upgrade and refurbishment of council facilities at Uitsig, Scottsdene and Hanover Park for the City of Cape Town, where asbestos roofs have been replaced with fibre cement roof coverings and new ceilings.
- The specialist construction work executed recently at Rochepan on the West Coast for Cape Nature, where a series of Eco-Cabins were built using Timber Frame construction.
- Projects involving the use of natural timber frames, beams and ceilings, exposed rafters and trusses, such as work recently completed at Spier Wine Estate and Imizamo Yethu Primary School in Hout Bay.
Of advantage to property owners and developers alike is Scheltema’s commitment towards researching, sourcing, and promoting the use of innovative and green products and methods, as well as their ability to access highly trained carpenters, joiners, and master-craftstmen – many trained under apprenticeships both locally and abroad – which enables them to competently manage these projects.
Scheltema is a certified asbestos removal company, is fully compliant in respect of all Health and Safety legislation, and is LEVEL 4 BBBEE accredited. For more information on Scheltema’s roofing services, please contact Marcellus Finlayson, on 021 638-3121.